My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.mattmarksmusic.com.
Please update your bookmarks and RSS reader.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Would You Like Another Reason to Hate Mainstream Pop Music?

Of course you would! :)
things have gotten so weird in the music business that high-profile acts are inserting ads into their song lyrics. The next time you hear a brand mentioned in a song, it could be due to a paid product placement. And unlike magazines, songs are not required to point out which words are part of an advertisement.

In the e-mail, Kluger (who has represented Mariah Carey, New Kids on the Blog, Ne-Yo, Fall Out Boy, Method Man, Lady GaGa and Ludacris) explained via e-mail that for the right price, Double Happiness Jeans could find its way into the lyrics in an upcoming Pussycat Dolls song.

I assume they meant New Kids on the Block, unless I'm majorly out of touch with music today.

Anyway, yeah so now there's even more reason for there there to be crappy songs about Abercrombie, Moet Champagne, Lexus SUVs, and all manner of crap I dislike. Actually, I'm lying. I have a soft spot for champagne. The bubbles make me feel fancy. Ya know, I really don't care that much whether these acts have advertising in their songs or not. Any integrity has already been compromised. Anyone who takes Ludacris seriously, whether he's flashing gold or trying to save the environment, is already compromised. S'all good.

No comments: