My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.mattmarksmusic.com.
Please update your bookmarks and RSS reader.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

More Convention Reaction

Now that I've got all my bitching out of the way (hopefully!), I'll focus on what was productive.

Kennedy had a nice opening:




I thought Hillary's speech did what it had to do. It seemed to lack passion, but I don't find her the most passionate speaker. But hopefully she'll smackdown the batshit crazy Dems who are actually considering voting for McCain.
This was a nice point:
I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me? Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that young boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?




But I was pretty blown away by Michelle Obama's speech. I never realized what a great passionate public speaker she is, actually rivaling her husband. She brought a sense of heart to the convention - which it sorely needed - and livened it up, not just with her charisma but with her beautiful words. I'll admit it was a little sappy at times, but I was kind of a sucker for it, especially when she would talk about her mom and they would show her mom looking proudly from the audience. I think that made a lot of people cry. Funny that it got more criticism than Hillary's speech, but I think that it was mainly from analysts who by the nature of their profession do not allow themselves to be emotionally swayed. Hillary's was definitely more functional, but Michelle's more affective in my opinion.



PS. Props to PoliticsTV for posting all of these videos.

1 comment:

nathaniel said...

I was really moved/impressed with Michelle O. too. I enjoyed Hillary's speech while I was watching it, but it occurred to me later that she didn't really have many good things to say about Barack himself... Whenever she stressed the importance of electing him, it was in the context of "we can't let McCain in." I wouldn't be concerned about it, except for the fact that the McCain campaign is actively using HRC's previous criticisms of Obama for their own ends, and she hasn't, to my knowledge anyway, addressed that. At the risk of being too cynical or demanding of Clinton (I hate the way the media is playing up the drama of their rivalry), it would have been great to hear her say that he's not just the best person to vote for because he's not a Republican, but because he will be a good president... and maybe even that her attacks on him were over the top/inaccurate/inappropriate (which they certainly were).